Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Shot Heard 'Round the World

The proficiently schooled American sports fan will recall that there were two shots. 

History does not record who fired the first shot of the American Revolution 236 years ago today in Lexington, Massachusetts, but in 1836, Ralph Waldo Emerson immortalized the words in his poem "Concord Hymn," which begins:

By the rude bridge that arched the flood,
Their flag to April’s breeze unfurled,
Here once the embattled farmers stood,
And fired the shot heard round the world.

My father grew up in the Bronx in New York City and often rode his bike to see New York Yankees baseball games in the afternoons after school. It was a good time for an area youngster to be a Yankees fan. During Dad's first 27 years of life, the Yankees failed to finish first in the American League only seven times. Like many young boys, Dad collected baseball cards and autographs that his mom threw away when he went away, and like many mothers, her actions contributed to the relative scarcity and value of older sports memorabilia re-sold today.

As the games let out, Dad noticed how autograph hounds would gather around to shove their items at the departing ballplayers, and he came up with a better scheme to avoid all that clamor. Just as his favorite ballplayers would duck into their cabs, he would personally hand them a self-addressed stamped postcard to sign and return at their leisure. Of all the penny-postcards he received back, only several survived to the time my dad told the story to my brother Mike and I when we were young.

I was inspired to employ my own solution to obtain Major League Baseball player autographs. I used my second-grade writing tablet and wrote and asked for them, care of the teams' postal addresses, and enclosed a blank index card and a self-addressed stamped envelope. I was surprised by the number of positive replies I received. I still have autographed cards, baseball cards and photos I received from Robin Yount, George Brett, Nolan Ryan (all three of the 1999 MLB Hall of Fame inductees), Rod Carew, Don Sutton, Hank Aaron and Sandy Koufax.


The New York Yankees only sent me promotional advertising in return. 

My family and I met New York Yankees catcher Thurman Munson at a public appearance in 1977 at Gino's Kentucky Fried Chicken on Route 18 in East Brunswick, New Jersey. He was my brother Jonathan's favorite baseball player and my dad took a Polaroid photograph of Jonathan and Thurman Munson, and Munson signed it. I found the photo at my grandparents' house many years later and returned it to Jonathan. Thurman Munson was the Yankees' first team captain since Lou Gehrig, and Munson would live two more years.

I have been to baseball games at Yankee stadium three times, in 1977 for an old-timers game and a game against the California Angels, in 1978 against the Boston Red Sox, and the last time in September 1999 against the Texas Rangers, and the Yankees lost all three games. Friends who are fans tell me not to come back. In 1999, I also went to an Atlanta Braves home game, and both the Yankees and the Braves played each other in the World Series that year.

When the 1951 baseball season ended, the New York Giants and the Brooklyn Dodgers were tied for first place. Eighteen years before season playoffs were initiated, a three-game series was held in  New York City to determine the National League Championship, and which team would face the New York Yankees in the 1951 World Series. After two games, the series was tied. With the visiting Dodgers ahead 4-2 in the bottom of the ninth inning, Willie Mays on deck and Jackie Robinson in the field, the Giants' Bobby Thomson connected with a Ralph Branca 0-1 fastball for a game-winning three-run home run, "the shot heard 'round the world," because American GI's across the world serving in the Korean War listened to the game on Armed Forces Radio. 

A few years ago, I looked up Bobby Thomson and found him living at a golf course in Savannah, Georgia. For the first time, I wrote a professional baseball player directly and included a self-addressed stamped envelope, and promptly received a reply with Thomson's autograph.

Bobby Thomson died on August 16th, 2010, and my dad passed away a month later on September 19th. The last time I saw Dad, he gave me his remaining childhood baseball autographs.

2 comments:

  1. Great piece Mitch,baseball has been there as a unifying within the family influence in so many of my friends from upstate(NY,NJ...thats why I hit it off with Chris Cook,or at least I thought I did,bitch stood me up graduation night...oh yeah Perry,Pineapple...I remember,who knew).Its a great slice of Americana but only to mostly guys with roots in the northeast. I went to see the miracle Mets in 69 ,they crushed the big Red machine,Cincinnati (Jonny Bench,ken Griffey sr,Pete Rose ,Joe Morgan et all)my brothers idol Tom Seaver pitched that day for the Mets,the guy was awesome,I think he won the Cy Young award that year? My Grand father also made a wrong turn coming out of Shea Stadium and we ended up in Harlem which made the trip all the more memorable,middle class white kids lost in Harlem with my half Jewish neighbors telling me I'm lucky I wasn't killed by the "Swartzas" and me being from the south and all,good times. Anyway,having seen two world Series and been at the two parades in Miami(Marlins) with my kids. I can say that without a doubt even as much as I HATE the game sometimes(like 2months ago where the games don't really mean squat and its hot,just oppressive)there's really nothing like how baseball can weave connections and link us fondly in time to a particular moment. Thurman Munson was my idol and I met him at the scrimmage game against Yanks vs FSU (82 or 83)for the Dick Howser memoriam(G.Steinbrenner,good guy donated the lighting at the FSU baseball stadium)and like a short time later even though he was like "the guy" but still a regular guy ,he was gone. Bill Lickson was with me and another frat brother and I remember how we all thought Reggie Jackson was an asshole for refusing to sign an autograph or even talk to us as we walked across the outfield with him inches away.We seriously considered kicking his ass right then and there he was such a schmuck. Bucky Dent smiled and so did Munson like they knew we were right,like it was a common thing for Reggie to behave this way,they readily signed whatever we wanted which made me love Munson all the more.I remember Chris cook had a similar story about Rod Carew being a putz to him also.....I was looking at baseball cards the other day that I had bought for my son(he's in LA going to school)from the Marlins run and the Sosa Maguire hitting stint and thinking wow this kids into me for about $500 bucks ,but also about when we bought those cards when we were together and watching that incredible season together and driving down Flagler street after the Marlins won the World Series with the windows down blowing the horn screaming at the top of our lungs with my kids and all the other fans who had taken to the street (we really thought we were hot shit living in Miami back then.LOL). It was magical and my kids still recall it that way too with big smile's. Then I remember my dad telling me about the Yankees "Murderers row" when he was a kid with the same kind of enthusiasm and joy in his facial expression.Lou Gherig ,Tony Lazzeri and Babe Ruth and some others. Baseball did this for us ,its something we shared or had moment together in common.With my kids and my Dad.It sounds like it was that way for you and your dad to Mitch and I hope it was.One of the last pictures I remember of my Dad was him wearing that Marlins World Series Cap we'd bought him with a smile on his face and a cigarette in hand of course. Here's to the game my friend that gave us a moment with our Dad's ,maybe my kids will feel the same way to one day..Here's to Baseball.All the best Mitch.-Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brian,
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Best to you and yours this holiday season!
    Mitch

    ReplyDelete