Thursday, June 23, 2011

Spongebob Squarepants

I had a wildly successful Halloween in 2002 as Bob the Builder, and while I was watching Bob on Nickelodeon to learn to better portray him in costume contests, I was planning for next Halloween. By January 2003, I was already hard at work on Nickelodeon's other A-list character at the time, Spongebob Squarepants.

I built a cuboid, a characteristic of many of my best costumes, by using light pine wood and cardboard, yellow swimming pool noodles for arms, papier mache hands, and six colors of paint. I used a piece of styrofoam packing with a concavity that fit the top of my head, so that most of the weight of the costume rested on my head. I installed handles on each side inside near his waistline for for my hands to support Spongebob and to steer us.


Spongebob's pupils and irises are made of thin foam which gives a nice three-dimensional effect to his face. He weighs less than twenty pounds, but he is the heaviest costume I have worn since the Watermelon costume, which is now a seventeen year-old Duracell Battery.


I won the costume contest at the American Legion Hall in Tallahassee, and here, on stage in Havana.


Wherever I went, children would sing the Spongebob Squarepants theme song.

I won an eighteen-inch plush Spongebob Squarepants figure at the Tallahassee Streetrodders costume contest at Whataburger on Thomasville Road. 

Heather carved me a Spongebob Squarepants pumpkin for Halloween.

Spongebob and I were a big hit on the dance floor and won second place at Schooners Last Local Beach Club in Panama City Beach.


In 2004, Spongebob Squarepants and I walked in the Springtime Tallahassee parade with the Chinese community.

On Cinco de Mayo in 2009, I put a giant sombrero on Spongebob Squarepants' head and we won at El Jalisco Mexican Restaurant on Monroe Street in Tallahassee.

In October 2010, Spongebob and I participated in a Halloween costume parade at Railroad Square Art Park.


Video by Zan.

No comments:

Post a Comment