Monday, January 31, 2011

Welcome to My World...

Dragged kicking and screaming onto Facebook by my grandchildren, I feel responsible for making sure they read about my life's experiences firsthand and while I'm still young enough to remember them. 

I write about things I know, including but not necessarily limited to, Halloween, softball, parades, family life and life in Florida's capital city. 

If you see yourself in any of my posts and wish to see more (or less) than your first name, let me know.

I was born in Miami and lived in Cocoa Florida for a few years and then moved with my family north to Endicott New York for a cold winter, then moved south to Atlanta Georgia for a few years, then back north to East Brunswick New Jersey for more than 8 years, before finally settling in Tallahassee Florida in 1978. I have 3 brothers and 3 sisters.

I graduated from Amos P. Godby High School in 1981, but was never a freshman, as I attended grades 7 through 9 at Hammarskjold Junior High School in NJ. I am president of the Association of Godby Graduates, an academic booster club we founded in 2003 that fosters, recognizes and rewards excellent service and academic achievement. We raise money for scholarships for deserving Godby seniors.

I earned baccalaureate and graduate degrees at Florida State University and have worked at FSU since the early 1990s. I have coached and played on the office softball team since 1993. Some of our toddler fans have grown up to play on our team. I batted over .500 last year.

I am married with a daughter, son-in-law, four grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

I am a performing artist in October. I have built and worn elaborate Halloween costumes and competed in costume contests in North Florida and Georgia for more than thirty years.

I rode a bicycle in Alabama and Florida parades for more than 18 years with a cat on my shoulders, first with Elliott and then with Dave the Cat. We led 19 parades and participated in many more. Our exploits with photos have been published in two books, "Tallahassee: A Capitol City History" by Julianne Hare, and we're Chapter 2 in "Florida's Famous Animals" by Jan Annino. 

No comments:

Post a Comment